AALSCHILDLAW Archives

"Association of American Law Schools Section on Children and the Law"

AALSCHILDLAW@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

Show Table of Contents

Leslie Harris
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:50:19 -0700
I am looking for recent studies that would bear on what kind of shared parenting plan would work well for an 18-month old. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Leslie

Leslie Harris
Dorothy Kliks Fones Professor
School of Law
1221 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1221
No Replies
Jonathan Todres
Wed, 16 May 2012 23:52:13 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

Please see the attached for details on the Call for Papers for the AALS Section on Children and the Law's program ("Evolving Responsibilities: The Impact of Recent Global Trends on Children and Families") at the 2013 Annual Meeting.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Todres
Associate Professor of Law
Georgia State University College of Law
Tel: 404-413-9165
Email: [log in to unmask]
Publications available at: http://ssrn.com/author=239725
Show Replies 2 Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:59:11 +0000
Section on Education Law Call for Papers on "Forty Years after Rodriguez, 35 Years after Bakke: Education, Equality and Fundamental Rights"

The Section on Education Law and the Section on Constitutional Law will be holding a joint program at the January 2013 AALS annual meeting. The program topic is "Forty Years after Rodriguez, 35 Years after Bakke: Education, Equality and Fundamental Rights."

[More ...]
No Replies
Cynthia Godsoe
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:08:36 -0400
Please submit any information or updates for the Section newsletter to me by next Friday, April 27 at the latest. Thanks.

Cynthia Godsoe
Instructor of Law
Brooklyn Law School
250 Joralemon St.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718.780.0681
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=900407
Show Replies 4 Replies
Shaughnessy, Joan
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:21:50 -0400
Hey folks, not sure how active the list is these days, but I thought I'd try it out. I wondered if there would interest in organizing a panel on children's issues for the Mid-Atlantic Law and Society Meeting on Oct. 19-20 at Drexel. Please let me know if you are interested and, if we have enough response, I will organize us into one or more panels and submit. (Submissions are due August 1).

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:08:27 +0000
Dear members,

The ABA Board of Governors has recently created a new award, named the Mark Hardin Award for Child Welfare Legal Scholarship and Systems Change. There is a call for nominations, with a due date of March 30. Please see the attached for details about Mark Hardin and his almost 30 years of service in the child welfare field. Please see below for information re: nominee eligibility and nomination process. You are encouraged to nominate a deserving colleague - I am sure that among our sections' members, there are several people who are eligible for this award.

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:15:33 +0000
Greetings everyone,

The AALS Section on Children and the Law is off to a great start this year! We had over forty people attend our section panel at the 2012 AALS Annual Meeting, with four interesting presentations re: children and the media. At our annual business meeting after the panel presentation, our section elected the following officers for 2012:

[More ...]
No Replies
Yael Cannon
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:02:24 -0500
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good interviewing simulations they could share with
me that involve students simulating an interview of a child client (in
any context- abuse/neglect matter, delinquency matter, school discipline
matter, etc.)? Also, can anyone recommend any good readings on
interviewing a child client? I am offering my Juvenile Law course as a
professional skills course this semester, and I'm looking for a good
simulation to use with my class. I found a good one written by Julie
Waterstone (from Southwestern Law School), focused on school discipline
issues, which is available in the recent Colker and Waterstone

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Leslie Harris
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:11:05 -0800
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Judging Mothers Who Kill
November 16
12:15-1:30 p.m.
Room 175
Bring your lunch; light refreshments offered

Three speakers examine our complex legal and social responses to
mothers who kill their children. They are the Lane County DA who
successfully prosecuted Angela McAnulty for murdering her teenage
daughter, a defense attorney and former UO Law professor, and a
feminist philosopher.
For more information, please click here.

[More ...]
No Replies
Mabry Cynthia
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:07:41 -0500
Good afternoon,

Here is the latest edition of the Section newsletter. Please note that some of the deadlines for Proposals in the Calls for Proposals that begin on page 11 are imminent so act quickly if you are interested. It has been my pleasure to serve as Secretary/Treasurer this year.

Best wishes,

[More ...]
No Replies
Weisberg, Kelly
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:57:19 -0700
Announcing a New Domestic Violence Law School Casebook!

A new casebook on domestic violence law, Domestic Violence Law: Legal and Social Reality, by Professor D. Kelly Weisberg, Hastings College of the Law, will be published by Aspen Publishers in January 2012. The book will be available for adoption for the Spring 2012 semester.

[More ...]
No Replies
Mabry Cynthia
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:55:41 -0400
Hello,

Because of the low rate of response, I am concerned that many of you did not see my previous message. Please send notice of your accomplishments and news that is of interest to the members of the Children and the Law Section. Please send all information directly to me at [log in to unmask] by November 1.

[More ...]
No Replies
Leslie Harris
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:26:34 -0700
Use this area to offer a short teaser of your email's content. Text here will show in the preview area of some email clients.
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

CYBERBULLYING or CENSORSHIP?
The Limits of School Authority
October 12
12:15-1:30 p.m.
Room 175
Pizza!

Public schools can censor student speech that "materially disrupts" the educational activities of the school or that is inconsistent with school policies on drug use or "civility." But what authority, if any, do they have when a student makes a Facebook page or a YouTube video off campus that trashes

[More ...]
No Replies
Mabry Cynthia
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:48:14 -0400
Good afternoon,

I trust that you are having a terrific and productive semester as you teach and write about children's rights.

Now it is time for us to report on our accomplishments and to post news that is of interest to the members of the Children and the Law Section. Please send all information directly to me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I plan to publish the newsletter by 10/28.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
<>
Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:34:36 -0400
This page was sent to you by: [log in to unmask]

OPINION | August 06, 2011
Op-Ed Columnist: The Decade of Lost Children
By CHARLES M. BLOW
One of the greatest casualties of the great recession may well be an entire generation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/06/opinion/the-decade-of-lost-children.html?emc=eta1
No Replies
Leslie Harris
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:11:53 -0700
I'm looking for a decided or pending case in which a brief discussed how graham might apply to the question of whether a teen should be tried as an adult. This might be a separate amicus brief or a section of a main brief. thanks for any help!

Leslie

Leslie Harris
Dorothy Kliks Fones Professor
School of Law
1221 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1221
No Replies
Mabry Cynthia
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:13:49 -0400
Good afternoon,

The spring newsletter is attached! Thanks so much to everyone who submitted information. I trust that it will be useful to you. Please note that you need to register for some conferences and programs by next week!

Please continue to send your announcements and suggestions directly to me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:32:47 +0000
CALL FOR PAPERS - AALS 2012 ANNUAL MEETING

The AALS Sections on Children and the Law and Mass Communication are co-sponsoring a panel presentation at the 2012 AALS Annual Meeting entitled "Children and the Media." Our panel committee seeks to organize a diverse group of panelists who have written or are writing on a variety of topics in this area, including internet and cyber-bullying, pornography, first amendment issues, confidentiality in juvenile and family courts, governmental regulation of media content for child consumers, and privacy and social media issues. If you are interested in being considered as a panelist, we would

[More ...]
No Replies
Mabry Cynthia
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:34:44 -0400
Good afternoon everyone,

It is my pleasure and honor to serve as your Secretary/Treasurer. As Secretary, I am preparing a Spring newsletter. Please send citations of your new and forthcoming publications (in bluebook format), conference announcements, ideas for teaching Children and the Law courses including particularly helpful materials, films that you use in the classroom, and any other relevant news.

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:57:32 +0000
Dear Professors,

The AALS Sections on Children and the Law and Mass Communication are co-sponsoring a panel presentation at the 2012 AALS Annual Meeting entitled "Children and the Media." Our panel committee seeks to organize a diverse group of panelists who have written or are writing on a variety of topics in this area, including internet and cyber-bullying, pornography, first amendment issues, confidentiality in juvenile and family courts, governmental regulation of media content for child consumers, and privacy and social media issues. If you are interested in being considered as a panelist, we would like to review your work-in-progress or

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Odeana R. Neal
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:31:25 -0500
Subject:
announcement and joining the listserv
From:
Cynthia Godsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:12:02 -0500

To:

BROOKLYN LAW SCHOOL SYMPOSIUM

Adolescents in Society: Their Evolving Legal Status

Friday, March 18, 2011
9:00 am - 3:00 pm

RSVP: http://www.brooklaw.edu/lawpolicy

Overview:

The last few years have brought great transformations in the rights and
protections accorded adolescents in a range of areas, including criminal
law, health care, and technology. On one hand, young people are
interacting with society independently of their families more than ever
--- often through new technologies. On the other hand, there is
increasing evidence that

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:04:58 +0000
Happy New Year! Please find attached the Winter 2010-11 Newsletter for the AALS Section on Children and the Law. If you are unable to open the attachment, please contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Our section is sponsoring its' first poster presentation on Friday, January 7, 2011 from 10:30 - 11:30 am in the East Lounge, Ballroom Level in the Hilton. Please feel free to stop by during this time to view and hear about a poster presentation of my article, The Principle of Subsidiarity Applied: Reforming the Legal Framework to Capture the Psychological Abuse of Children, 18 Va. J. Soc. Pol'y

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:59:33 +0000
Dear Section members,

Thank you to everyone who has sent me their recent publications, presentations, and upcoming conference announcements for inclusion in our next AALS Children and the Law Newsletter. This is just a quick reminder that you have until this Friday, December 10, 2010 to forward me your information. If there are any promotions or awards that should be acknowledged for section members, please forward me this information as well. Happy exam writing and grading!

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:10:04 +0000
Happy Thanksgiving Section Members!

I hope that many of you are planning to come to the 2011 AALS Annual Meeting, which will be our first meeting as an official section of the AALS. I am writing to solicit information from you about what you have been working on since the spring newsletter. Please send me an email with recent presentations, publications, upcoming conferences or workshops, and any announcements that you would like to generate to our section. If you could forward this information by December 10, 2010, I will be sure to include it in the Fall/Winter volume of our

[More ...]
No Replies
Marrus, Ellen
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:40:29 -0600
Dear Section Members,

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing to let you know that
Professor Irene Merker Rosenberg passed away last week. As many of you
know she is known for her excellent scholarship in the area of juvenile
law, and has also been a mentor and inspiration to many junior faculty
and attorneys representing children in delinquency matters. Irene was
the trial attorney in the In re Winship case and insured that the
transcript included the statements needed for a successful appeal,
leading to the decision that children had to be found delinquent by a

[More ...]
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:51:41 -0400
~ Sent from my Palm Pre;&nbsp;please excuse my brevity and any typos.

Odeana R. Neal, Associate Professor
University of Baltimore School of Law
1420 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD&nbsp;21201-5779

[log in to unmask]&nbsp;~&nbsp;410-837-4644
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sep 26, 2010 11:20 PM
Subject: Last call for abstracts | IV World Congress
To: [log in to unmask]

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;More Information: www.childrightscongress.org
No Replies
Breger, Melissa
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:01:13 -0400
Position Opening: Assistant/Associate Professor of Academic Success

Albany Law School seeks applicants to expand its programs for bar examination services and its academic success program for "at risk" students. This is a full-time (12-month) non-tenure track position with the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor of Academic Success and will be eligible for long-term contract status.

[More ...]
No Replies
Breger, Melissa
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:09:42 -0400
Tenure Track Clinical Professor Position

ALBANY LAW SCHOOL invites applications for a Tenure Track Clinical Professor position to teach in its Clinic & Justice Center beginning in the Fall 2011 semester. The position involves teaching a Family Violence Litigation clinical course through which second- and third-year law students learn about domestic violence dynamics, the substantive law and procedure of Family Court, and represent domestic violence survivors. Candidates must demonstrate 1) a strong academic and practice background, 2) experience in or capacity for teaching excellence in a law school clinical setting, and 3) a capacity for and commitment to excellence in

[More ...]
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:12:22 -0300

No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:34:21 -0500
Hello members,

Please find attached the AALS Section on Children and the Law 2010 Spring Newsletter. If you have any comments or corrections, please email me [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Have a great weekend!

Jessica Dixon Weaver
Assistant Professor
SMU Dedman School of Law
P.O. Box 750115
Dallas, TX 75275-0116
(214) 768-2641 office
(214) 768-3142 fax
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:39:19 -0400
From: Dana Shoenberg &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;
Date: May 27, 2010 4:32 PM
Subject: JJDPA Reauthorization Support
To: Andrew K. Block &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Holland, Paul &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Odeana R. Neal &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; [log in to unmask]; Lanza Kaduce,Lonn M &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Mark Fondacaro &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Jessica Budnitz &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Elizabeth Bartholet &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
CC: Karen Marangi &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Samantha Harvell &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Michele Gilman &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; Dowd,Nancy E &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;; King,Shani Mahiri &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;

[More ...]
No Replies
Weaver, Jessica Dixon
Wed, 26 May 2010 17:01:30 -0500
Dear section members,

I hope this email finds you all well and at the end of your spring semester. I am the new secretary and treasurer of the newly approved AALS Section on Children and the Law. We now have full status! A hearty thank you goes out to Sacha Coupet and Joan Shaughnessy for their instrumental roles in bringing our section to fruition within the AALS. Bill Patton has passed the baton to me as the outgoing secretary and treasurer, and he deserves a round of applause as well.

[More ...]
No Replies
Leslie Harris
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:04:42 -0800
2010 Oregon Child Advocacy Project Conference

Protecting Children’s Interests, Hearing Children’s Voices: The Dilemmas of Advocacy

April 2 - 3, 2010

Room 175, Knight Law Center, University of Oregon School of Law

Registration Deadline: March 29, 2010

New! Register online at http://www.uoregonlaw.com/ocap2010

When are children entitled to an attorney? When is a child’s waiver of counsel valid?
Should a lawyer representing a child advocate for best interests or the child’s expressed wishes?
How can a child’s lawyer resist pressures to go along rather than rocking the boat?
Legal scholars from around the country discuss these
and other ethical and practical

[More ...]
No Replies
Worthington, Karen
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:26:11 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

Emory Law School is hoping to fill this position as soon as possible. Please share this information widely:

Emory University School of Law seeks a director for the Barton Child Law & Policy Center

Title: Clinical Instructor; Barton Center Director

Reports to: Law School Dean

Classification: Clinical instructor, contract position

Salary: Negotiable; includes the University's generous benefit package

[More ...]
No Replies
Shaughnessy, Joan
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:42:17 -0500
Members of the section may be interested to know that the NIS-4, a study of the national incidence of child abuse and neglect, has finally been released and is available here.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/abuse_neglect/natl_incid/index.html

Best to all,

Shaun Shaughnessy

No Replies
Leslie Harris
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:23:00 -0800
The Oregon Child Advocacy Project seeks papers on representing
children in juvenile court, child custody disputes, or other cases
for a conference at the University of Oregon in Eugene on April 2-3 .
The scope of this call is intended to be broad. If you are
interested in presenting a paper, please send a one-page proposal to
Prof. Leslie Harris, director of the project, at [log in to unmask]
by Jan. 15, 2010.
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:01:19 -0500
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:59:25 -0600
From: Davidson, Howard <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, under the leadership of
Desmond Runyan, a pediatrician, and Stephanie Block, a psychologist, is
interested in understanding the views of different groups of involved
professionals and the public
(pediatricians, attorneys, judges, social workers, child abuse experts,
parents, etc.) about what forms of discipline are acceptable BY AGE OF
THE CHILD.

[More ...]
No Replies
Leslie Harris
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:27:52 -0800
The Oregon Child Advocacy Project sponsored a discussion about the legal and child development issues in locking up kids for long periods of time on the day that the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the Sullivan and Graham cases from Florida, which challenged the constitutionality of life without parole for kids. MP3 files of the audio presentations at the OCAP events, along with background materials are now available at http://familylaw.uoregon.edu/child/events/kids.php

[More ...]
No Replies
Leslie Harris
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:44:53 -0800
Monday, November 9, 2009
Kids: Should We Lock 'Em Up for Life?
Lunch and Panel Discussion
Noon, Room 184, Knight Law School, University of Oregon

On November 9th, the Supreme Court hears arguments in two cases
challenging the constitutionality of sentencing minors to life without
parole. That day the Oregon Child Advocacy Project sponsors a
discussion of the issues by a nationally-respected forensic child
psychologist and an Oregon attorney with special expertise in
representing young people charged with major felonies. For more
information, including downloadable background materials, go to http://familylaw.uoregon.edu/child/events/kids.php

[More ...]
No Replies
Sacha Coupet
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:39:20 -0500
REPRESENTING CHILDREN: ETHICAL AND PRACTICAL PROBLEMS

Oregon Child Advocacy Project
University of Oregon School of Law
Eugene, OR
April 2-3, 2010

Representing children charged with delinquent acts or who are the subjects of chid custody disputes or juvenile court dependency proceedings presents a host of issues in addition to the perennial favorite, whether to advocate for a child's expressed wishes or best interests. This conference seeks papers that explore these issues. Papers already have been published or may be works in progress. Possible topics might include:

[More ...]
No Replies
Sacha Coupet
Sat, 05 Sep 2009 08:01:46 -0500
We are excited to share with you our Fall 2009 newsletter, where you'll find information about our upcoming AALS program meeting in New Orleans on Thursday, January 7th, as well as other news and updates relevant to Children and the Law.

Many thanks to our Secretary/Treasurer, Bill Patton (Whittier), for his hard work!

[More ...]
No Replies
Jane Spinak
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:01:27 -0400
I will be out of the office starting 08/01/2009 and will not return until
08/24/2009.

I will respond to your message when I return. I will have periodic access
to email. If this is an emergency, please call 212-854-3123 or email
Michelle Ellis at [log in to unmask] edu.
No Replies
Sacha Coupet
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:17:43 -0500
Call for Papers:
Juvenile Justice: Passages, Prevention, and Intervention
February 19 and 20, 2010

Deadline for proposals: September 15, 2009

Juvenile Justice Project
Center for Children and Families
University of Florida Levin College of Law

In collaboration with the Center for Race and Race Relations, University
of Florida Levin College of Law
Co-sponsors: Child Advocacy Project, Harvard Law School and Juvenile
Justice Clinic, Georgetown University School of Law

[More ...]
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Tue, 12 May 2009 14:51:26 -0400
I received this e-mail this morning. I'm not sure where the push for
this is coming from right now, but I am at a minimum ambivalent about
international adoption policies and at most view them as a kind of
genocide. I wonder whether anyone is aware of advocacy groups that are
coming out with counter-proposals.

[More ...]
No Replies
Melissa Breger
Fri, 08 May 2009 11:45:27 -0400
>>> "Shaughnessy, Joan" <[log in to unmask]> 05/08/09 11:25 AM >>>
Dear Section Members,

W&L is holding a small junior scholars works in progress conference this summer in Lexington, Virginia. I attach the call for papers. If you are a junior scholar, please consider sending us an abstract. If you are more senior, please encourage your junior colleagues to apply. The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging and we hope the comments received on the papers will be helpful and constructive. Feel free to circulate the attachment widely and to let me know if you have any questions.

[More ...]
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:09 -0400
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:07:58 -0500
From: Marrus, Ellen <[log in to unmask]>

The Center for Children, Law & Policy would like to invite you to our
upcoming conference. Click on the links below for more information and
registration.

[More ...]
No Replies
Odeana R. Neal
Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:27:16 -0400
The Center for Children, Law & Policy would like to invite you to our
upcoming conference. See attached flier for more details.

* *

*Child Centered Jurisprudence and Feminist Jurisprudence: Exploring The
Connections And The Tensions*

Friday, November 14, 2008 @ the University of Houston Law Center

*Featured Speakers*

§ Prof. *Annette Ruth Appell, *Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs
and Professor of Law, Washington University School of Law

[More ...]
No Replies
Jeremy Simpson
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:54:53 -0400