IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Abbey Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
31 Mar 2007 20:29:15 -0400Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:29:15 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Background Information:
I have been working for a fleet management company called PHH Arval since November. The project that I'm going to use for my practicum is a position assessment project for Budget Truck Rental's Client Service Representatives. One of the many services that PHH offers its clients is an in-house call center for customers to use 24/7 to get assistance with their vehicle.  These call centers handle everything from flat tires to load swaps. This position has a busy season that takes place between May and September. Because this department is functioning 24 hours a day, they want to move from mostly full time employees to mostly part time employees to accommodate the need for off hours. This is what surged the need for this project. Over the next couple of months they are going to be hiring a lot of people to fill those part time shifts as well as fill the staff for the upcoming busy season.

The Project:
The overall goal of this project is to define the job, find out who does it best, and hire people based on those traits.

Step 1: Job analysis. The initial stages involved reviewing previous documentation about the position (i.e. job descriptions), observations, and interviewing incumbents and supervisors. We then created and administered an online survey that included task statements and KSAOs necessary to do the job.

Step 2: "Gap Analysis". The goal is to identify top and bottom performers in this position. We did that by interviewing the supervisors and asking them to not only identify the top/bottom 5 performers, but also to tell us why those people were at the top/bottom (subjective measure). This included things like work behaviors and personality traits. Our objective measure included reviewing call logs that listed time per call, availability, absences, tardiness, etc.  We compared the subjective and objective measures to identify the top/bottom performers. We then made a profile that described the traits a typical top/bottom performer displayed. This part also involved questionnaires to determine job fit and work context.

Step 3: Job description. The results of the survey allowed us to rewrite the job descriptions for the department based on updated information.

Step 4: Competency Model: We used all information gather to this point to create a competency model that included all of the essential competencies necessary to be successful at this job.

Step 5: Performance Appraisal: The company just purchased a new online performance appraisal tool. With the information from the JA, Job description, and Competency, we were able to create performance appraisals that matched the new system

Step 6: Selection: We created HR phone screening sheets, Interview guides, and Realistic Job Preview forms and packets to help the selection process screen out for the applicants that match the "top performers" identified in step 2.

* Each step was cleared through HR and department supervisors as we completed it. The big final meeting to present all of this information to not only supervisors but also directors and members of the senior leadership team is set to take place April 4th. I'm sure I will post updates following that meeting.

If anyone made it this far in the email, thanks for sticking through it and reading about my project.

Thanks
Abbey Taylor