IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Jessica Griggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
11 Jun 2009 15:58:55 -0400Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:58:55 -0400
6/11/09

Jessica Griggs

Hospital HR intern

As I mentioned last week, I did, indeed develop SME surveys and handed them out to about 10 different supervisors that would have details about the position of a registered nurse and many of these supervisors are the same ones that hire for their department.  To develop my task and KSAO statements, I consulted the previous job description they had in place here at the hospital as well as O*NET.  From this, I set up the survey where the supervisors were to rate the task statements on their importance and time spent.  They were also to rate the KSAO statements in terms of their importance and distinguishing value.  So far, I have received 2 of these forms back.

Once I have all of the SME forms returned, I plan on running analyses on these and begin developing a structured interview for hiring nurses based on the results.  Not only will I develop this structured interview, but I plan on typing up a technical report with multiple suggestions for improving this hiring process.  From my interviews with the hiring supervisors, I have found that there are many other issues (such as communication between department and inability to have positions approved when they are needed) that need to be addressed.

I included a space on the survey for the supervisors to indicate whether or not they would like to receive a copy of the results upon their completion.  I hope that my interview structure will be utilized across departments and that my suggestions will be implemented as well.  I spoke with the hospital CEO today about what I'm working on and he, too, said he would like to receive a copy of my results.  Because he will be receiving this work as well, I believe that my work will not be taken for granted and that hopefully the things I am working on here will prove to be of great benefit to the hospital.