IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Jessica Griggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
28 May 2009 10:48:20 -0400Thu, 28 May 2009 10:48:20 -0400
My name is Jessica Griggs.  I recently began my internship in the Human Resources department of a hospital.  Where the department is quite small, the amount of work they do here is not.  I began my internship by coming acquainted with the HR staff as well as the things they do.  My direct supervisor is constantly busy with meetings and such, so my search for a project began as self-directed.  Being particularily interested in selection, I began to ask questions about their selection procedures, especially in the hiring of nurses for this hospital.  I found no set rubric for hiring other than ensuring the applicant has a nursing license and a short selection interview with the supervisor of the department they are applying to work in.

Because this process seemed entirely too simple, I questioned it.  It turns out there is no set structure to any of the interviews and each department is free to do as they will.  So I talked to my supervisor about this, asking if there was any way I could be involved in improving this selection process.  She said she would welcome any suggestions.  So this is what I've been doing:

I have been contacting all heads of departments who are in charge of hiring nurses and ask them to meet with me about their selection interview.  I tell them I am the HR intern and am working on ways to improve the selection process.  So far, I have interviewed 1 department head and the woman who supervises all of these dept heads (and sits in many of the selection interviews).  I have already gained much insight into the process, but I still have 5 more department heads to meet with.  Because my time is limited, I have chosen to focus only on those who hire nurses, although it would be beneficial to consider all positions, I feel these positions to be the most crucial.

I plan on comparing the interview structures to the job descriptions of the jobs in question and making a variety of suggestions of how to improve this process.  My results will be written up in a technical report and given to my supervisor as well as any other department heads who I feel may benefit from receiving it.