IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Jessica Griggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
25 Jun 2009 15:25:59 -0400Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:25:59 -0400
June 25, 2009

Jessica Griggs

My HR internship here at the hospital has had me working on a variety of different things.  My project, as I mentioned before, is well underway. I have done the job analysis of a registered nurse and received 6 SME surveys back.  I have calculated some of the statistics off of this data that I have received, but I have not completed a thorough analysis.  I plan on working on typing up the report next week.  I have already begun a literature review as well as made an outline for this paper.

I have also helped in updating the performance appraisals for an entire department.  I finished that up last week.  This week we worked on Compliance reports to ensure that the necessary paperwork has been done on licensed employees by randomly selecting employees and checking their file for the necessary documents.  I have also seen first hand, the chaos implementing a new policy can incur.  The hospital recently mandated a meal break policy that does not let any department close for lunch and no employee eat at their desk.  A few people have come in truly upset about these changes, but I believe they will benefit the hospital in the long run.  When implementing a new policy like this one, all employees must sign an agreement and turn it in.  I have been responsible for checking off employees as their sheets come in.

I also helped the Chief Nursing Officer this week with a project she is working on.  This project should help to encourage nurses to sign their patient charts (which has been a problem in the past) by providing a small incentive for them to do so (candy).

I have also helped with a summer program entitled Care Apprentice.  These are students who are in their junior or senior year of high school who think they want to go into the medical field who come into the hospital in this program and shadow nurses in a variety of different departments.  I have helped with this program by meeting with these students at lunch and encouraging discussion about their experiences here.  I feel this is a great start for these kids so that even before they start school, they know which field they would like to work in.

So that's what I've been working on.  I will report back next week with another update!