IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
Ben Crenca <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Crenca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 13:13:53 -0400
I have begun my Behavioral Descriptive interview Training with the Hiring managers at Keswick Multi-Care. So far, everyone has been very receptive to the information. Many do not know the process of behavioral descriptive interviewing. It has been rewarding to see them as interested as they are.

The biggest takeway after completeing the first half of my presentation is that the hiring managers are learning the difference between a good set up question in an interview and an a question that will derive behaviors from the candidate. Some interview questions such as "How you you handle a difficult manager?" is not a bad question but it leaves room open for individuals to give a vague, general answer. I have instructed the hiring mnagers that we need to pose questions to gain more insight on the candidates behavior. That question can be reformatted to "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager and what did you do to deal with it?". This question now will expect the candidate to recall a time they dealt with a manager who was not exactly pleasant. We can then gain insight on past behavior that will predict future success.

The next session will be more based on the interview itself. We will go over how to formulate questions, opening the interview, what to look for in answers, probing and closing the interview. If the interest and enthusiasm keeps up it should go very smooth.