IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
Molly Flax <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Flax <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:38:57 -0400
My main focus the past few weeks has been identifying key positions and completing a job analysis on each of these positions. The job analysis will be an important factor in performance reviews, identifying training needs and compensation decisions.

With such a short time frame, I knew from that start that it would be unrealistic to successfully and thoroughly conduct a job analysis on each position within the entire company, and still accomplish what I set out to do. As previously stated, the goal of my practicum is to improve employee engagement and motivation while increasing individual and organizational performance. I wanted to have a strong impact on performance, engagement and motivation by tackling a few key positions, but with so many critical positions, I honestly had no idea where to start.

My decision to focus on the robot programmers, setters, and operators at Marlin Steel came from the realization that these positions are extremely vital to our day-to-day operations, and due to a skill shortage, they are extremely difficult to fill. Put simply, making sure we train and retain the best talent for these positions will be critical the company’s ongoing success.

Having a blueprint to conduct a thorough job analysis for the robot programmer, setter and operator positions will be invaluable when it comes time to conduct a job analysis for the other programming, set-up and operating positions throughout the factory. I think by beginning with a few key positions, I will have the largest impact on both organizational and individual performance. In my next post, I will elaborate on the methods used to conduct a job analysis for these positions.