IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Manisha Kirpalani" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
12 Feb 2006 18:23:34 -0500Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:23:34 -0500
Hello everyone,

My name is Manisha Kirpalani and I am a first year I/O student. This semester I am enrolled in a practicum, though I have already completed most of it.

Last summer I was hired by a non-profit organization in Hong Kong called The Women's Foundation. What they had employed me to do was to coordinate and implement policies and procedures for a more structured internship program. This enatailed me researching local sources that could be contacted to recruit interns for the organization on a repeated basis.

I was also asked to conduct research to find out how HR personnel go about recruiting and evaluating interns as well as designing internships to tailor specific individuals. This was where the majority of my work was as Asian students respond differently to being in a work environment and so I concentrated on trying to make recommendations with the cultural sensitivity in mind.

As part of my research, I had to design questionnaires for various internviews that I held. I had to interview  employers about their experience with students, students about their experience with their employers. I also had to design questions for interviews that the organization could use when selecting interns.

I also had to design performance appraisal forms for both the employer and the intern, mid-way and at the end of the internship.

My task this semester is to research the procedures that I had undertaken (selection, recruitment, job analysis, mentoring process, evaluation) in greater depth and write a full report on what I actuallyaccomplished and reported.

Though I am currently enrolled in Personnel Psychology,  I have not taken any classes that touch on Job Analysis, slection or recruitment in great detail as of yet. Therefore would be grateful for any advice or sources anyone could direct me towards.

Thank you,
Manisha