IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Janeen Orlando" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
9 Jun 2009 09:14:52 -0400Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:14:52 -0400
My name is Janeen Orlando and I will be working with a pipe, valve, and fitting distributor that accommodates upstream, midstream, and downstream energy markets.  The company is a composite of two smaller family owned companies that merged in 2007 and expanded across North America.  Since the merger, the corporation has been working to integrate the work dynamics of both heritage companies and two recent acquisitions.

I will be working with the HR department on several projects over the summer. The first project is a job analysis to develop job descriptions for several positions in the organization.  Most of the positions I will be working with are management and sales positions, but the company hopes to eventually develop job descriptions for all positions.  The intended outcome of the "Job Description Project" is to align job descriptions and titles across heritage companies. The second project I will be working on is developing a new training procedure to improve new employee orientation with the company website.

            In order to conduct the job analysis, an initial planning session will be convened with HR staff from the Charleston, WV and Tulsa, OK corporate offices to formalize deliverables and work plan for the Job Description Project.  One of the tasks will be developing a survey to gather information from employees identified as Subject Matter Experts to determine job characteristics across targeted positions.  I will help develop the survey, interview employees, and analyze completed surveys.   Information to be collected includes major duties for each position; knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics that are most important for the particular job; types of decisions typically made; etc.  The data will be used to prepare a set of draft job descriptions for review by focus groups of top performers, HR and senior management.   This project will bridge the gap between the employees from heritage companies and develop one general job description for future hires in the corporation.  Once the job descriptions are developed, I will review the corporation's current pre-employment screening tools and processes and suggest improvements based on the information gathered from the job analysis.

            Throughout the summer, I will also be developing a training procedure to familiarize new hires with the company website.  The website contains information about the history of the corporation, the name and location of branches across North America, the biographies of executive management and company organizational structure, company policies, etc.  It is vital for new hires to become familiar with the website, which serves as the source of employee information regarding company operations, employee benefits and policies, and current events that affect the company and its customer base.

            To summarize, I will be developing draft job descriptions for various positions in the company by developing surveys and interviewing employees from the selected departments.  A technical report will be written on the job analysis project and possible pre-employment screening suggestions to my supervisor and department head.   Additionally, I will be developing a training technique for new employee orientation that will generalize to all departments in the organization.  A technical report will be written to illustrate the suggested design, supported by literature on current trends to improve the training processes.