IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
Ben Crenca <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Crenca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:50:41 -0400
Progress has been steady on the practicum here at Keswick. I have been meeting with supervisors and directors to go over what they would like to be mentioned in the orientation. They all agree that orientation should be tweaked and that we should focus more on the individual instead of the organization. Too much focus on the organization makes the candidate feel as though they are not an integral part of the company. This is something we need to change to improve the culture.

One of the most difficult parts of this practicum will be handling the preceptors in the connecting phase of the on-boarding process. We need to make sure that we have valid mentors to assimilate the new hires into the company. Without valid preceptors, the connecting phase will fall by the wayside. Connection is imperative to keep turnover down.

My task now is to begin integrating the different parts of orientation into one full presentation. I am looking to get as much participation as possible from the supervisors and managers. They will be my subject matter experts for what will be going into the orientation.