Some notes on message size and passwords

Well, and then I made a typo…  The message limit is changed to 100KB, not 100MB.

Sorry for any confusion! (and raised hopes?)

Elizabeth

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Brindley
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [UBListOwners] Some notes on message size and passwords

Hello, List Owners…

Welcome!  This is the first posting to the UBListOwners list.  I hope you’ll find this list a good place to ask questions and give tips and suggestions to your fellow list owners.  We’ll also use the list to communicate any changes and ask for improvement ideas.

We’ve quickly moved from the testing and “getting comfortable” phase to a full on, production implementation of the Mailman software.  And a couple of things have come up so far:

Message limit - It was quickly discovered that the default message size of 40KB was too small.  This has been increased on every list, present and future, to 100MB.  Some of you had already increased your limit to something larger than 40 but still under 100 – those lists have been set to the new 100MB default as well.

Passwords - A couple of you have asked about the administrator passwords and their connection to your list subscription passwords.  As a list subscriber, you have a password to manage your subscription, just as everyone does on your list.  List subscribers can synchronize his/her subscription passwords so that all of the lists to which he or she is subscribed use the same password.

However, the list administration password is not tied to your account the same way, is a completely separate password and cannot be synchronized with any other password.  You can, though, change your list’s administration password, once you have used it to authenticate on the admin page, by visiting the “Passwords” link on the main administrator page.

Please reply if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thanks,

Elizabeth