From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:42 PM
Subject: CARMA - Your university has become a member of the 2007-2008 CARMA Consortium Webcast Program

Greetings from CARMA, the Center for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis at Virginia Commonwealth University. You are being sent this email to make you aware that your university has become a member of the 2007-2008 CARMA Consortium Webcast Program, which is described below.

The information in this email is important and will enable you to obtain maximum benefits from your school's CARMA membership.  Let me emphasize that there is no financial cost to you as an individual for your participation in our CARMA Consortium Webcast Program: it is an institutional membership that has been paid for by your university. Let me also request that after you have read this email, please distribute it to the faculty, and if relevant, doctoral students from any academic unit at your university so they can also enjoy the benefits of membership. Before I tell you about how you can watch the 10 live webcasts that are a key part of our Webcast Program, and how you can access their recorded versions as well as 26 other recorded lectures in our Video Library, let me give you an overview of the CARMA Consortium Webcast Program.

2007-2008 CARMA Consortium Webcast Program

The main purpose of this program is to allow faculty and students the opportunity to hear the latest methodological developments relevant to their research.  For many faculty and students, learning about research methods is challenging, and watching and listening to an expert who can present current information in an understandable form is a valuable learning aid.  Our Webcasts emphasize the substantive application of methodological developments and can supplement the education that occurs in traditional courses.  Membership in the CARMA Consortium Webcast Program occurs at the institutional level, and viewing the live Webcasts as a group can be an important community building activity for department faculty and/or graduate students.

The 2007-2008 Consortium Webcast Program will include 10 one-hour lectures on advanced topics delivered live (with video and audio components) by leading methodological scholars from organizational studies (see list below). The live Webcasts are available for group viewing by an unlimited number of participants from each member institution.  Also, the Webcast Program will allow viewers to ask questions during the live webcast, will be supported with relevant PowerPoint slides and background references, and will make available recorded versions of each lecture for unlimited individual later viewing throughout the year via our Video Library.  Membership will also allow unlimited individual viewing of 26 additional recorded lectures from the CARMA Video Library (see full list below).

Viewing Live CARMA Consortium Webcast Lectures at your University

On the dates and times provided in the schedule below, you and your colleagues can come together to watch our live webcasts in a single location at your school.  As part of our efforts to increase awareness of our program on our members' campuses, we are now asking the Academic Contact (representative) from your school to provide the specific location on the CARMA Website (http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/) in which the webcasts can be watched.  Specifically, on our website's home page you will find a link at which you can find the location of the viewing room at your school(http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/ViewingRooms.asp).  We hope that providing this information will enable more faculty and students at your school to enjoy our live webcasts.

Accessing the CARMA Video Library

As noted above, your school's membership in the 2007-2008 CARMA Consortium Webcast Program also allows any faculty or graduate student at your school to access the 26 recorded lectures in our Video Library, which come from previous CARMA Consortium Webcast Programs offered from fall 2004 through spring 2007.  To access the Video Library, for which there is no individual fee required, a faculty or graduate student has to register as a CARMA Website User.  The only information required is their name and university email address, but this step must be followed for anyone to access the Video Library.  Once a person has registered to become a CARMA Website User, they will receive a password needed to access the Video Library. They will then be able to view the recorded lectures, whenever they wish and as many times as they wish.  In our Video Library, they will also find the Powerpoint files for the lectures, as well as reference lists with relevant readings.  All of this information on accessing the CARMA Video Library is also available on the CARMA Website  (http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/AccessingVideoLibrary.asp). You should also know that it is perfectly acceptable for any instructor of any course at your school to use the lectures in our Video Library as part of their course, as assigned or for optional viewing.  You may also be interested to know that over the past three years there have been over 4000 individual requests to view the recorded lectures in our Video Library.

Our Member Service

CARMA exists to provide educational services to promote understanding and improved use of research methods.  We do our best to provide all relevant information about our programs on our website.  However, we also recognize that sometimes we may have missed important information, or what we have provided is not as clear as we intended.  If at any time during the upcoming year you have any question about CARMA or our programs, please do not hesitate to get in touch.  The best thing is to email us your questions or comments at [log in to unmask], but we also invite you to give us a call at 804-828-7112.  Best wishes for a great year, and we sincerely hope you enjoy the live and recorded lectures we offer as part of our 2007-2008 CARMA Consortium Webcast Program.

2007-2008 Consortium Webcast Program Schedule

Fall 2007

September 28   (12:00-1:30 pm, EST)

Goodness of Fit and Structural Equation Models

Dr. Jose Cortina, George Mason University

October 26  (12:00-1:30 pm, EST)

Relative Importance of Predictors with Regression Models

Dr. James LeBreton, Purdue University

November 16 (CARMA Assembly, 2 lectures, 12:00-3:00 pm, EST)

Nonlinear Dynamic Models

Dr. Paul Hanges, University of Maryland

Advanced Panel Methods for Strategy Research

Dr. Peter Hom, Arizona State University

Spring 2007

January 18 (12:00-1:30 pm, EST)

Conditional Reasoning and Measurement of Implicit Personality

Dr. Larry James, Georgia Institute of Technology

February 29 (12:00-1:30 pm, EST)

Measurement Invariance and Organizational Research

Dr. Roger Millsap, Arizona State University

March 21 (CARMA Assembly, 3 lectures, 12:00-4:00 pm, EST)

Restriction of Range

Dr. Paul Sackett, University of Minnesota

Discontinuous Growth Models

Dr. Paul Bliese, Walter Reed Army Institute of Technology

Strategy and Research Methods Development

Dr. Donald Bergh, University of Denver

April 18 (12:00-1:30 pm, EST)

Publishing Criteria for Qualitative Research

Dr. Michael Pratt, University of Illinois

CARMA Video Library (video recordings of past lectures)

Dr. Herman Aguinis, University of Colorado- Denver

Estimating Interaction Effects with Multiple Regression

Dr. Brian Boyd, Arizona State University

Current Issues with Organizational Level Measurement and Strategy Research

Dr. Dan Brass, University of Kentucky

Issues in Social Network Analysis

Dr. Gilad Chen, Texas A & M University

Conceptualization, Measurement, and Validation of Multilevel Constructs

Dr. Claudia Cogliser, Texas Tech University

Current Issues with Individual Level Measurement

Dr. Dan Dalton, Indiana University

Meta-Analysis and Strategy Research

Dr. Jeff Edwards, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Methods for Integrating Mediation and Moderation

Dr. Jeff Edwards, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Moderation in Structural Equation Modeling

Dr. Michele Gelfand, University of Maryland

Methodological Issues in Cross-Cultural Research

Dr. David Harrison, Pennsylvania State University

Regression Models for Limited Dependent Variables

Dr. David Hofmann, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Hierarchical Linear Modeling

Dr. John Hollenbeck, Michigan State University

Contributing to Applied Psychology with Laboratory Research

Dr. Larry James, Georgia Institute of Technology

Effects of Criterion Reliability on Means/Interactions in Meta-Analysis

Dr. Katherine Klein, University of Pennsylvania

Issues with Group Level Measurement

Dr. James LeBreton, Wayne State University

Measures of Agreement for Group Level Research

Dr. Jorge Mendoza, University of Oklahoma

Repeated Measures ANOVA and MANOVA

Dr. Kevin Murphy, Pennsylvania State University

Power analysis for Traditional and Modern Hypothesis Tests

Dr. Robert Ployhart, University of South Carolina

Longitudinal Data Analysis

Dr. Steven Rogelberg, Univ. of North Carolina Charlotte

Non-responses to Organizational Surveys

Dr. Neal Schmitt, Michigan State University

Item Response Theory

Dr. J. Myles Shaver, University of Minnesota

Concerns, Implications, and Alternative Strategies for Testing Mediation

Dr. Jeff Stanton, Syracuse University

Issues with Internet Data Collection

Dr. William Starbuck, University of Oregon

Robust Regression

Dr. Eugene Stone-Romero, University of Central Florida

Testing Mediation Effects with Non-Experimental Research

Dr. Robert Vandenberg, University of Georgia

Multi-Level Structural Equation Methods

Dr. Robert Vandenberg, University of Georgia

Latent Growth Models for Longitudinal Data

About CARMA

The Center for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis (CARMA) is a non-profit unit of the School of Business at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), located in Richmond, Virginia, with an enrollment of nearly 30,000 students.  It was established in 1997 by Dr. Larry J. Williams, former Chairperson of the Research Methods Division of the Academy of Management and Founding Editor of Organizational Research Methods.  Since then CARMA has hosted over 90 events and 120 presentations for faculty and graduate students on advanced research methods topics.

Sincerely,

Dr. Larry J. Williams

CARMA Director

University Professor of Management