-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[AALSMIN-L] Juvenile Justice Project
Date: 	Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:02:42 -0400
From: 	Shani King <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	<[log in to unmask]>

The Center on Children and Families at the University of Florida Levin
College of Law is launching the Juvenile Justice Project, an effort to
benefit children locally, statewide and nationally by focusing on the
juvenile justice system.  We will devote ourselves to research,
advocacy, conferences, workshops and projects in this area and welcome
collaboration with others.

We invite you to visit our website at
http://www.law.ufl.edu/centers/childlaw/juvenilejustice/

Our first conference will be February 19 and 20 2010, and we have
confirmed as our plenary speakers Geoffrey Canada, the founder and
president of the Harlem Children’s Zone, the innovative project profiled
by Paul Tough in Whatever It Takes (2008), and Shay Bilchik, Director of
the Juvenile Justice Reform Project at Georgetown, and former president
of the Child Welfare League of America.  In addition, we have as
confirmed participants Bob Schwartz (Juvenile Law Center), Chris
Slobogin (Vanderbilt), Mark Fondacaro (John Jay College, CUNY), Alex
Piquero (Maryland) and Kenneth Nunn (Florida). For further information
about the first conference, which will focus on issues of prevention and
avoidance,  and for the call for papers, please go to our website.
Registration information to attend the conference will be available in
fall 2009.

We also invite you to read our report about the controversy over
shackling juveniles, The Shackling of Juvenile Offenders:  The Debate in
Juvenile Justice Policy, available for downloading on our website.  A
handbook on juvenile justice targeted for youth and families will be
available on the website in the next few weeks as well.

Contact information:

Juvenile Justice Project  [log in to unmask]

Shani M. King
Assistant Professor of Law
University of Florida
Levin College of Law