Dear Section Members,

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing to let you know that Professor Irene Merker Rosenberg passed away last week. As many of you know she is known for her excellent scholarship in the area of juvenile law, and has also been a mentor and inspiration to many junior faculty and attorneys representing children in delinquency matters. Irene was the trial attorney in the In re Winship case and insured that the transcript included the statements needed for a successful appeal, leading to the decision that children had to be found delinquent by a beyond a reasonable doubt standard. As a young attorney she worked with Legal Aid in the Bronx, New York and represented children in delinquency and status offender hearings, supervised 60 attorneys and wrote the first practice manual for attorneys representing children in delinquency hearings. Her obituary can be found at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=irene-merker-rosenberg&pid=146686573&fhid=7433 . I know that our program has been selected, but I thought we might want to add a tribute to Irene at our section meeting.

Professor Ellen Marrus

George Butler Research Professor of Law

Director, Center for Children, Law & Policy

University of Houston Law Center

100 Law Center

Houston, TX  77204-6060

713.743.0894