From: Szostek, Jana Marie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 12:53 PM
Subject: Assessment center internships

The IU Northwest Assessment Center is recruiting interns and raters for the 2013-2014 academic year.

IU Northwest instituted an Assessment Center process in 2006 and the response has been tremendous. We have had over 1000 students complete the process and recently expanded to our MBA program. Our Assessment Center is different from most academic based programs in a couple of ways. First, although MBA students do complete the AC, our primary focus is on the undergraduate level rather than on graduate students. We do this because we want students to begin developing these skills as soon in their careers as possible. Second, our entire process for rating students is online. This online format provides great flexibility and allows us to provide several opportunities to Industrial-Organizational Psychology graduate students.

1. Traditional internships - Students come and work at the Assessment Center. They help run the sessions, including participating as an actor, and rate students. In addition, they help with day-to-day issues that arise and help with fine- tuning and expanding our program. These interns work 10-20 hours per week and must be available on Fridays and Saturdays. Opportunities are limited for this paid internship.

2. Virtual internships - Students complete their internship online. They rate students and help with preparing materials for expansion of our program. They also complete a project, which allows them to explore the assessment center methodology more completely. These interns are invited to come to campus to help run the sessions, but are not required to do so. These interns receive a nominal fee at the end of the semester for each file rated.

3. Virtual Rater - Students who want to gain experience in assessing performance using the assessment center methodology but do not want to complete a formal internship are invited to become a rater rather than an intern. Raters receive a nominal fee at the end of the semester for each file rated.

REQUIREMENTS

  1.  Interns/Raters must have completed at least one year of graduate studies in an Industrial-Organizational program. First year students will not be accepted.
  2.  A commitment to rate a minimum of ten files per week is required. It typically takes 30-45 minutes to rate a file once you are familiar with the process. The weekly time commitment for just rating files is 7-10 hours per week. More hours may be needed to meet your internship requirements, if applicable.
  3.  KSA's
     *   Excellent time management and personal discipline skills are needed. We depend on you to rate your files in a timely manner.
     *   Excellent communication skills are needed. You must be able to effectively communicate in writing and maintain contact with Assessment Center staff. Professional, error-free writing is required.
     *   Effective performance appraisal and assessment skills are required. You must be able to assess performance using standardized instruments.
     *   Dependability is crucial. We rely on you to rate your files competently and in a timely manner.
     *   Technological competence is helpful since our program is highly virtual in nature. You should be able to trouble shoot technological problems that may occur.

Students wishing to learn more about these opportunities should review our website for more information: http://www.iun.edu/~acnw.

Resumes should be submitted directly to me. No phone calls please.

Please feel free to forward this information to students, faculty, and other I/O programs as you see fit. Thank you!

Dr. Jana Szostek

Director, Assessment Center
Indiana University Northwest
3400 Broadway
Dunes 1153
Gary, IN 46408

Phone: (219) 980-6910
Fax: (219) 980-6916

Learn more about the IU Northwest Assessment Center at www.iun.edu/~acnw<http://www.iun.edu/~acnw>!

Knowledge will only lead to wisdom when it is run through the mill of experience.