Brynee' Dade Week 1

My internship is within the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Office of Personnel Services and Benefits, Classification and Salary Division. I started my internship experience off by meeting with a representative from Human Resource to complete the documents for onboarding such as 1-9 form and ID card. I also went over the expectations of the intern position with the Deputy Direction, which included working at least 10 hours per week and not to exceed late June.

Along with the Deputy Director, I learned the purpose of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) which is to be the control agency of all the other Maryland agencies and departments. Essentially, the other entities have to receive approval from DBM. Where the Personnel departments are located in Baltimore and the Management departments are located in Annapolis. In addition to receiving the department’s email, I received access to Workday which is a HRIS (human resource information system used through the State of Maryland’s agencies. We also reviewed the components of Personnel Social Services:

·       Recruitment (e.g. onboarding)

·       Employee Health Benefits

·       Employment Benefits (e.g. personal leave, retirement)

·       Employee Relations (e.g. grievances, collective bargaining)

·       Classification and Salary (over 3,500 job classifications)