IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
Tom Olenchock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
20 May 2010 17:51:13 -0400Thu, 20 May 2010 17:51:13 -0400
IOintern,

Over the 2010 summer semester I am using a work project as part of APPL 707
Practicum in IO psych.  As such, this summer you will receive (and read if
you like) periodic updates from me. This email is the first.

The focus of this portion of the project is the examination of job
classifications.  This is part of a multi-year project in which we are
revamping our officer management system to better track and develop talent
(which we call specialties).

Several years ago an initial breakdown of job groupings was established by
mapping a previous system of approximately 50 classifications into 18
specialties with 38 subspecialties.  The old system was loosely based on
tasks which each position needed to accomplish, but was not established to
track talents of the individuals filling the position.

Last summer, I realized several limitations of this narrow view and have
spent several months convincing them to use Knowledge, Skills, Abilities,
and Other characteristics (KSAO) to combine with the tasks to better refine
the job classifications.  The team I work with and I have worked with
subject matter experts from each subspecialty area to produce these KSAOs
lists.

I am analyzing these lists, the known tasks, and the number of positions
needed to support internal development into more senior positions (since we
can’t hire external personnel).  To this end, I have created a series of
databases and excel spreadsheets which identify similarities, establish a
standardized naming convention, and so far identify those KSAOs which are
common across all subspecialties.

Today, I completed the compilation of 31 subspecialties KSAO lists into a
consolidated master KSAO list.  This included comparison of each individual
KSAO to determine if there was redundancy between the subspecialty areas or
similarities which should be combined.  I eliminated several duplicate
entries, consolidated several, and reclassified some.

The next step in this analysis is to identify those KSAOs which are common
across all/most specialties.

Tom Olenchock