IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
17 May 2006 10:55:23 -0400 Wed, 17 May 2006 10:55:23 -0400
Wed, 17 May 2006 14:54:24 -0000
From [log in to unmask] Wed May 17 10:
54:23 2006
from base64 to 8bit by lists.ubalt.edu id k4HEsNis024126
From:
"Manisha Kirpalani" <[log in to unmask]> "Manisha Kirpalani" <[log in to unmask]>
content-class:
urn:content-classes:message
Hi, my name is Manisha and this semester I enrolled in a practicum where I had to design and implement an internship recruitment program for a non-profit foundation.

As part of this project last year when I completed it, I had to find sources of recurrent interns at university programs in Hong Kong where I made contacts with the relevant departments to hire their degree candidates as interns for the institute I was working for. The areas in which I sourced interns were broad as we had several projects that needed to be completed, the degree candidates I thought would be most beneficial to intern with the institute were in communication/marketing/language.

Not only did I design the application process, including the interview questions, I also had to design appraisal/evaluation performance forms. I was also charged with researching the successes and failures of working with interns in Hong Kong of both Western and Asian cultural backgrounds. There were some significant differences here which I was aware I was going to find out about and so based on my research, I submitted a report of how students from different cultures should be approached and managed.

Finally, I actually was able to put my work into practice by testing the process. I was able to conduct the hiring process for the first three interns that took on projects last summer! Not only did I play a part in the hiring decision, but I also designed their projects specifically to suit their interests as well as meeting the needs of the institute.