IOINTERN Archives

Information on students in practicum placements

IOINTERN@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
Thomas Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2018 17:22:26 +0000
Please noteā€¦

Tom Mitchell, Ph.D.

Subject: Opportunity for IO Graduate Students - Selection Event

Good afternoon!

I wanted to reach out to you with an opportunity that would be open to your IO Master's students. I have a partnership with a local government in Alabama (Jefferson County Commission and the Personnel Board of Jefferson County). Each year (starting last year!) they come up here for a week to give students selection experience (getting trained on scoring structured interviews, scoring audio recordings of structured interview responses, and learning about selection). I'd love to extend this opportunity to your graduate students. Please note! There is no guarantee we will be able to reimburse for parking at UMD, which may make this event less attractive for some of your students. Here is what I typically share with my students:

This is an awesome opportunity to get trained on assessing structured interview responses, pump up your resume, and network with IO professionals in addition to developing your understanding of selection in an unusual circumstance (consent decree land!).

We have learned from last year's event (peep these pics!). This year, our partners have indicated that they will benefit the most from our partnership if attendees were able to dedicate a total of 3 to 4 full days to this event. General assessor training would be Monday 8-12, and job specific training the morning of other days as needed. I've included a survey link below - if you think you might be interested in attending this event, please let me know which days you anticipate you could join! I know this may be difficult at best for many of you given your jobs, so if you do have any questions, please let me know!

https://umdsurvey.umd.edu/jfe/form/SV_0dLtL1wl7nb5Dhj

We will also have a Sunday evening kick off food and wine event, yum yum.

If you have any questions at all about this event, please let me know!

Best,

Juliet