UBLISTOWNERS Archives

Discussion list for List Owners

UBLISTOWNERS@LISTSERV.UBALT.EDU

From:
"Elizabeth Brindley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
23 Sep 2005 13:45:59 -0400Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:45:59 -0400
Hi, everyone...

I hope things are going well with your lists!

I received a question recently about list publishing, and I thought I'd
share some information with the group.

To publish a list simply means to advertise it on this web page:

This page can be used as a sort of address book to help people find
their way to subscribing to your list, or finding your list's archives,
or simply remembering the list's exact name.  This web page is also
referenced on our main mailing lists information page as being the list
of public lists.

To publish or not was a question asked upon list creation, but you can
change the publish status at any time.
If you have many potential or current subscribers who would benefit from
a little web help like this, you may want to publish your list on this
page.  If you are trying to keep the list as quiet and as unknown as
possible, you would probably chose to not publish the list.  Selecting
to publish or not will only affect whether the list shows up on this
listinfo web page, and does not change any other aspect of your list.

To change the setting, log onto your list's administration page, and
select "Privacy options".  The answer to the first question:

Advertise this list when people ask what lists are on this machine?

determines whether or not the list shows up in the list of lists.
Select Yes to publish or No to not, then scroll to the bottom of the
page and click Submit Your Changes.  The change is immediate.

As always, please feel free to reply to me or the list if you have any
questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Brindley
Office of Technology Services